3 Days Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Safari
3 Days Rwanda Gorilla Trekking: Are you looking to explore the beautiful scenery and culture during your short stay in Rwanda? If so, then these 3 days Rwanda Gorilla Trekking tour is just what you need. You will get a chance to do gorilla trekking in Volcanoes National Park and also embark on a cultural experience at the Iby’ iwacu Community village which is located a few kilometers outside the national park.
Highlights for 3 Days Rwanda Gorilla Trekking
- Day 1: Arrival in Kigali & Transfer to Volcanoes National Park.
- Day 2: Gorilla Trekking and Iby’ iwacu Community Tour.
- Day 3: Dian Fossey Hike and Transfer back to Kigali.
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival in Kigali & Transfer to Volcanoes National Park.
- Arrival in Kigali & City Tour: You will be picked up by your guide from Explore Rwanda Tours upon arrival at Kigali International Airport. Your guide will then drive you to Kigali Genocide Memorial, which is about a 30 minute drive from the airport. The genocide memorial grounds is where approximately 250,000 Rwandans were buried following the 1994 Genocide killings against the Tutsi people of Rwanda. The Kigali Genocide Memorial acts as an educative center and a reminder to every one of the atrocities that were committed during the genocide. It is also an initiative to spreading the message of peace and love for our fellow humans irrespective of one’s ethnicity. Other interesting places that you can visit during your city tour include; Umusambi village, Camp Kigali, Nyamirambo Women’s Center, Caplaki Craft Village and also Kimironko market to mention but a few.
- Transfer to Volcanoes: You will have lunch in Kigali before proceeding with your transfer to Volcanoes National Park in Ruhengeri district, which is approximately a two hours’ drive from Kigali City Center.
- Check into your lodge for dinner and accommodation.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking and Iby’ iwacu Community Tour.
- Gorilla Trekking: Have your breakfast early in the morning and proceed to the park’s headquarters in Kinigi; where you will be briefed and place in groups of 8 members each. Your gorilla trekking safari will commence at 8am, therefore it is important to always keep time. Usually, tracking gorilla groups can take between 2-8 hours with an hour of direct contact with the gorillas once they have been located. Hiking through the forest might prove to be a bit cumbersome and thus calls for one to be physical and mentally fit for the vigorous activity. Also remember to come with a good pair of hiking boots and a raincoat, in case it rains while you are in the forest.
- Iby’iwacu Cultural Tour: After having your lunch, you will reconnect with your guide at the park’s headquarters and then embark on a cultural tour to the Iby’ iwacu community/ village. The community is located just a few kilometers outside Volcanoes National Park. This community is filled with individuals who were once poachers who have reformed and now actively participate in conservation projects that are run in the park. Visiting the Iby’iwacu community village is a good way to experience the Rwanda culture through music, dance and drumming performances from the local intore dance group. You will also get a chance to learn more about the indigenous cultures in Rwanda.
- Later retire to your lodge for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 3: Dian Fossey Hike and Transfer back to Kigali.
- Dian Fossey Hike: Have your breakfast early morning from your lodge and then head out to Volcanoes National Park where you will embark on a hiking expedition to Dian Fossey’s Gravesite, an American primatologist and conservationist, whose scientific studies on Mountain Gorilla Groups in Volcanoes National Park has given us a better understanding of these primate species. You will have the opportunity to learn more about her life and scientific study up until her death. She was murdered on 26th December 1985 in her camp in Volcanoes National Park and was laid near her favorite gorilla ‘Digit,’ along with 20 other mountain gorillas. Aside from her grave site, you will also pay a visit to the Karisoke Research Centre which she used as a base for carrying out most of her scientific studies with the help of her staff. After your visit to Dian Fossey’s gravesite, head back to your lodge for lunch.
- Transfer back to Kigali: After having lunch, your guide will drive you back to Kigali city where you will be dropped off at a hotel of your choice or a Kigali Airport in time to check in and catch your flight back home.
End of 3 Days Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Safari