What Is Gorilla Habituation? For a number of travellers interested in watching the endangered gorillas in their natural habitats, they will come across a term called gorilla habituation. In this article we are going to help you understand more about gorilla habituation in Uganda, where travellers can participate in gorilla habituation in Africa and what to expect during your gorilla habituation experience in Africa and many other aspects to make your safari experience quite memorable.
Gorilla habituation is the process of training the gorillas in the wild to get accustomed to human presence so that are ready to be tracked by travellers interested in gorilla trekking in Africa. gorilla habituation is carried out by a group of researchers carrying ng out the training sessions of a particular gorilla family. Gorilla habituation can take about 2-4 hours for the gorillas to get accustomed to human presence and once the training session is done the species will be open to be tracked by the travellers interested in the gorilla trekking experience in Africa.
Gorilla trekking in Africa can be carried out in a number of destinations that is Uganda where you will participate in gorilla trekking in Bwindi impenetrable national park, gorilla trekking in Mgahinga national park, travellers can also participate in gorilla trekking in volcanoes national park for travellers interested in the gorilla trekking experience in Rwanda and gorilla trekking in Virunga national park which will lead you to the mountain gorillas in Africa and for the eastern lowland gorillas, travellers can get to access the species by participating in gorilla trekking in Kahuzi Biega national park which will give you the chance to observe a number of rewarding features of the primates in the wild.
Although travellers can participate in gorilla trekking in a number of different destinations in Africa, travellers can only have access to the gorillas that are undergoing the habituation process by participating in gorilla habituation in Bwindi impenetrable national park and this can only be accessed in one sector of the park that is Rushaga making it quite a competitive activity with limited gorilla habituation permit hence for travellers interested in participating in the activity, they should consider booking in advance so that they do not miss out on the safari experience.
A gorilla trekking permit in Uganda can be obtained at a price of 700USD which is quite cheaper than a gorilla habituation permit that can be obtained at a price of 1500USD. Interesting about the gorilla habituation permit is the fact that you will get the chance to spend four hours with the gorillas when you get to their families which is longer than the 1 hour travellers get to spend with the gorillas. Once you obtain a gorilla habituation permit in Uganda, you will have access to a knowledgeable guide who will give you all the relevant information about the orillas in the wild to make your safari educative and a ranger who will protect you during the whole activity.
Packing list for gorilla habituation
- Carry some insect repellent which will protect you against insect bites that will make your safari experience quite unbearable.
- A camera should not be forgotten because of the beauty you will get to explore while in the wild and when you get to the gorilla families, you will get to observe a number of rewarding authentic reactions of the species in the wild for a memorable experience
- You can also carry your binoculars because of the fact that you will observe a number of bird species that can be seen as you hike through the different trails in the park.
- You can also carry some food during your gorilla habituation process this is because the activity is about exhausting and can take many hours.
- Travellers can also carry water proof hiking boots, jackets and hats to ensure you have a comfortable safari experience.