Golden Monkey Trekking in Volcanoes National Park
Golden monkey trekking in Volcanoes National Park is among the most interesting activities that tourists can participate in to have a memorable Rwanda tour. Volcanoes national park over the years has been famous for gorilla trekking because of the different Rwanda gorilla families that can be seen on the slopes of the different virunga mountains in the park which include Mount Sabyinyo, Mount Gahinga, Mount Muhabura, Mount Karisimbi, and Mount Bisoke but recently a number of activities are also gaining popularity because of their rewarding experiences that they offer during the Rwanda tour.
Some of the other activities that can be carried out in volcanoes national park include virunga mountains hike, birding where you will see a number of bird species, visiting Dian Fossey’s grave, visiting the Musanze caves in the park which have a lot of historical significance to the Rwandans among other activities in the park. however, it should be noted that among the rewarding activities that can be carried out in volcanoes national park, golden monkey trekking will offer the most amazing experience because you will be able to see the endangered primate species that are only endemic to the Albertine rift in national parks like Mgahinga National Park, Volcanoes national park and Virunga national park.
Golden Monkey Trekking
Golden monkey trekking in volcanoes national park involves tourists hiking the different virunga mountains in order to access the two habituated golden monkey groups that will offer rewarding experiences.
Before carrying out the hikes to the habituated golden monkey groups, a tourist should first present their tracking permit to the reception area and thereafter take part in a briefing session where they will be taken through the whole activity, what they should expect how to behave during the encounters with the primate species when the briefing session is done, a tourist will then hike to the different mountain slopes and it should be noted that the golden monkeys are highly active primates, therefore, tourists should be fit in order to take part in it because it involves the monkeys moving from one place to another.
Moving through the forest on the different slopes of the mountains, when you get to the bamboo trees you will get to see the are unique creatures playing and swinging from one tree branch to another, feeding on bamboo stems which is also a source of food to them and you can also see them eating fruits when it is available.
On meeting the golden monkeys, a maximum of one hour will be given to you as you observe the behaviour of the primates, you will also be able to take pictures of the primates as you observe their behaviour, feeding patterns, grooming patterns and how they playfully swing from one tree branch to another which is quite a mesmerizing activity.
After spending time with the primates you can head back to your hotels or you can participate in other activities like cultural encounters where you will get to visit the Ibyiwacu village where you will get to know more about the culture of the people of Rwanda through their cultural dances that are performed by the people in the Ibyiwacu village, beer making where you will get to taste local brew, among other interesting facts about the people in the village.
WHAT TO CARRY DURING GOLDEN MONKEY TREKKING
- Insect repellent, because the park is a habitat to a number of insects that can spread a number of diseases like the black flies, tsetse flies that can spread diseases and once they bite you can cause irritation.
- A back pack to ensure that you carry a number of items like the insects in order to have a comfortable time during the activity. The back pack will help you carry your bottled water, packed lunch to avoid getting hungry during the activity and a number of items
- Long sleeved shirts and trousers to avoid being scratched and pricked by nettles.
- Waterproof hiking boots to have comfortable hikes during the Virunga Mountains as they get to hike the different virunga mountains in order to access the habituated golden monkey families.
- A camera in order to take memorable pictures of the primate species during the activity.
- Binoculars, although they are optional, can also be carried during golden monkey trekking because tourists will get the opportunity to see a number of bird species like Rwenzori Batis, double collared sunbird, marsh harrier, long-crested eagle handsome Francolin Ruwenzori turaco, common moorhen Ruwenzori nightjar, the dusky crimson wing which will offer rewarding experiences during the activity.