Travel Guide for Chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda 2022 : Chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda is carried out in Nyungwe national park a park known for housing 13 primate species of which the chimpanzees are the dominant primate species that can be seen in Nyungwe forest of cyamudongo forest where you will access the habituated chimpanzee troops in Rwanda that you will spend one hour with observing their behavior in the wild like how they establish their territories, you will get the chance to understand the chimpanzee reproduction for instance the a female chimpanzees when they are undergoing ovulation, they can be seen having red swelling on their bottoms that represent the fact that they are ready for mating.
You will get to see the adult females breastfeeding the infants as they cling on their mother’s fur among other interesting features of the primates in the wild to make your primate safaris in Rwanda quite memorable. With this travel guide, you will have the chance to understand all the necessary information about chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda like where to obtain the chimpanzee trekking permits in Rwanda, the packing list for chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe, the rules and regulations to follow to have the most rewarding experience in the country.
Where to get a chimpanzee permit
For tourists interested in participating in chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda, they can obtain a chimpanzee trekking permit from the Rwanda development board where you can also obtain permits for a number of tourism activities in Rwanda like gorilla trekking in Rwanda, golden monkey trekking in Rwanda, game drives in Akagera national park, Dian Fossey’s hike, hiking permits for the Virunga mountains like mount bisoke, mount muhabura, mount karisimbi and many more. Or you can obtain your chimpanzee trekking permit from a trusted tour company at a fee off 60USD.
- A camera should be carried as part of your packing list for chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda because of the fact that there a number of rewarding attractions that you will get to see as you take part in the activity attractions like the numerous primates like dent’s monkey, silver monkey, black and white colobus monkey as they take part in the memorable chimpanzee trekking experience in Rwanda.
- Binoculars are a must to carry when you visit Nyungwe national park one of the most memorable national parks in Rwanda where you will get to see over 350 bird species.
- Bird checking list for the world can also be carried during your activity in the park because of the fact that the park is home to a number of bird species that are Albertine endemic species, migratory species from Europe like the blue turaco, Ross’s turaco, coqui Francolin, long tailed cisticola, bubbling cisticola, Miombo wren warbler, Chubb’s cisticola and many other bird species thus Travel Guide for Chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda 2022.
- Hiking boots to ensure that you have a comfortable hike in the park
- Insect repellent should be carried because there a number of insects that can bite you and cause irritation and also in the long run the can make your activity quite uncomfortable.
- Long sleeved clothes should be carried as well to avoid being scratched by tree branches that can cause irritations.
- Water bottle and some packed lunch should also be carried in case you get hungry because the activity can take about 3 hours in the wild which can be exhausting to some tourists that easily get hungry.
Rules and regulations to follow
- Avoid littering in the park during chimpanzee trekking to avoid accidents in the park like the chimpanzees choking on the items which can affect the numbers of the primates in the wild.
- Avoid smoking in the presence of the chimpanzees to avoid them from getting diseases like lung cancer, pneumonia this is because the species are quite vulnerable.
- Ensure you put on your mask when you get in contact with the chimpanzees and throughout your chimpanzee trekking experience in the park this is because of covid-19 that can easily be spread to tourists and the primates as well because of the vulnerability.
- Maintain social distance from one another and the primates to avoid the chimpanzees from contracting diseases like common colds,
- Avoid feeding the chimpanzees to avoid them from contracting a number of diseases and also because of the fact that the chimpanzees can also attack you to eat some of the food therefore eating in the presence of the primates is highly prohibited.